Our client is a trusted and dependable provider of specialist services to the Rail and Forestry sectors. Currently they are looking to recruit a qualified Senior Ecologist to join their team based in Petersfield.
· Provide support and in-depth guidance in many aspects of ecological conservation.
· Assist with management of ecology resources within the company.
· Assist in the development of company ecological management strategies, plans and budget costs as required.
· Advise on habitat management and current wildlife legislations, as required.
· Produce technical reports in a timely manner and to a high standard.
· Review reports of colleagues on a regular basis.
· Undertake ecological surveying and logistics planning at a variety of sites, as required.
· Undertake Preliminary Ecological Assessments (PEAs), Ecological Impact Assessments (ECiAs) and Habitat Regulations Assessments (HRAs).
· Lead on protected species surveys and reports, depending on experience and/or survey licenses.
· Lead on ecological data collation, analysis, monitoring and reporting.
· Lead on protected species/habitat mitigation measures, depending on experience and survey licences. Lead on implementation, monitoring and evaluation of measures, providing periodic
· Assist with maintaining and developing the Environmental Management System to include updating policies and documents.
· Mentor and support the professional development of junior ecologists and ecologists within the team.
· Provide regular updates to colleagues and the Environment Manager and Principal Ecologist, keeping them informed of works and progress.
· Observe and follow all applicable safe methods of working, and health, safety and environmental rules/procedures. Report any incidents or Close Calls immediately to the appropriate person.
· Undertake training as required by your manager or the Company.
· Adhere to Company Policies and Procedures.
· Be an ambassador for the Company, upholding and reflecting the ethos and values of the Company.
· Work in accordance with their Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy.
· Undertake any other duties as may be reasonably required by the Company.
· Work flexibly and be receptive and adaptable to a changing environment within a growing
· Degree in Environment/Ecology-related subject.
· Associate Member of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
(CIEEM) and working towards full membership.
· Significant recent experience as an Ecologist.
· Excellent report-writing skills with significant experience in independently producing reports.
· Experience in managing own ecological projects from conception to completion, including working on sites requiring Phase 2 and protected species surveys.
· Experience in producing a range of ecological survey reports covering different speciesand habitats.
· Confident and capable in habitat identification using UKHab methods and botanical species identification (working at FISC level 3 as minimum).
· Knowledge and understanding of current wildlife legislation and UK policy.
· Holds at least one protected species survey class licence (ideally for hazel dormouse) and working towards more.
· Good organisational and prioritisation skills.
· A good understanding of, and application of health, safety and environment practices.
· Flexibility in your approach to work and problem-solving skills.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Physically fit and able and willing to work in inclement weather.
· Self-motivated and a team player.
· Full UK driving licence.
· Postgraduate degree or diploma in Environment/Ecology-related subject.
· Accredited agent on at least one mitigation licence for a protected species in the past 3
· Holds a PTS card.
· Experience of working in the rail industry.
· Experience in managing or developing more inexperienced colleagues.
· Experienced in working on infrastructure projects.
· GIS experience
20 days holiday plus bank holidays
Pension Salary exchange pension programme
Vehicle will be provided for site visits
Job Type: Full-time